Friday 24 April 2015

Avengers - Age of Ultron

I have to admit, I am a little bit of a Marvel Fan, and now so is my lovely wife.  I think although I may have introduced her to Iron Man a couple of years ago just so I had someone to go to the cinema with for these little films, Clare has now become as much of a fan as I am.

As a continuation of the Marvel Universe franchise headed by Kevin Feige, Josh Whedon returns to the helm with his second outing with the Avengers.  All our favourites are back, Ironman, Cap, Hulk, Hawkeye and Scarlet Johannson trying to save the world from new threats and themselves.

When Tony Stark and Bruce Banner create an artificial intelligence using their Ultron Program, the AI becomes self aware and sees the Avengers as a threat to humanity.  Recruiting fellow Stark haters Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, they launch attack after attack on our valiant heroes.

The set pieces in AoU are fantastic, from the opening scene of the take down of Baron Von Stucker to the Hulk Buster or an awesome truck battle, there is no scene without spectacle.  When it takes a little respite in the mid section so we can warm towards the lesser known characters  (Avengers without their stand alone films), I could see some younger children longing for more action, but I felt this helped warm more to Hawkeye or Black Widow, why are they with the team? They are not God's or Super Soldiers or hulking green monsters, but their reasoning is just.

There are a few running jokes that work perfectly through the whole film and bring some well placed quips between main heroes.  Some nods for the geeks and easter eggs that I have definitely missed but may take them in on a second viewing.  There are a couple of moments that are set ups for later films such as Wakanda (Black Panther) and the Infinity Gems, and Ragnarok but sadly no Spiderman....yet.

The Avengers AoU will take a fortune at the box office and justly so, it is a great blockbuster film full of laughs, not as dark as I was anticipating (I was told it was the Marvel's answer to Empire), and Ultron is a great bad guy.

I can't wait for the next set of Marvel Films....

For a different review (and one in all shiny, singing and dancing IMAX), please see Rosh's thoughts here: http://roshfak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/avengers-losing-my-imax-virginity.html




No comments:

Post a Comment