Saturday 24 October 2015

Paranormal Activity - The Ghost Dimension (3D)

24th October 2015: 18:40: Leigh

I have to admit something, I watched the original Paranormal Activity before all the hype.  I watched it alone in my apartment, very late at night and it gave me serious chills.  Yes, Katie is a little annoying and not very well acted, but the impact was perfectly fitted to my surroundings.

The subsequent sequels/prequels were not very good at all though - missing the whole idea of the first.  The infamous Paranormal Activity Subwoofer tone gives all the weak jump scares less impact, the reasons behind the protagonists desire to keep filming gets ridiculous and the timeline and continuity gets sillier and sillier.  Yet, here I am, sat in the cinema waiting for the 5th part of the franchise to begin.  I am part of the problem and the reason these films keep getting made, and for that I am truly sorry, and I promise that I will fuel this franchise no more.

It was terrible, the premise is ridiculous, the characters very annoying, the jump scares are weak and obvious, but the main flaw is the over-use of visual effects.  The first film in the franchise uses very little visual effects and lets the viewer imagine their own horror.  The "Toby" character become more and more computer generated until it became laughable.  

At one point at a climactic chase the camera is dropped and one of the fleeing party shouts, "leave the camera, we don't need it".  Even then, the gargantuan, "It's so big", camera is picked up and carried again, obviously causing the runner to be slowed down due to it's huge hindrance.

Again, the Horror Season of films is a real let down and the franchise or jump scare films are taking over!  Bring back real horror films, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment